Friday, August 31, 2012

Day 40: A talkative avocado?


Okay, I hadn't planned on this. You were going to get 
some great shots of LA's Union Station. Maybe later.


It started with a salad for lunch, and an avocado.


This little avocado seed said "save me, I can grow". 
I hadn't planned on it, and was foggy on how.  Google!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBKDnUsTAFc
explains to remove the skin at the base,  who knew?



Now to show I have done this before,  just not lately.
On my patio is an avocado tree. 



This 12' beauty came from my seed about 14 years ago.




I couldn't get the whole tree in one shot.
Stop looking at my messy patio! I am in a loosing
battle with a 50' pine tree, with attacking pine needles.




Back to the salad. Baby arugula, basil and my avocado.




Meanwhile, I am cooking 3 pounds of spinach in my wok! 
Thats a bag the size of your bed pillow,  added a little at a time.


  

Add feta cheese ... mmmm.




and strawberries ...





Check the spinach. Yes, that's 3 pounds cooked down.




Lemon juice from Marsha's lemon tree and pine nuts.
Did you know pine nuts are $18.99 a pound?
I bought $3.84 worth of pine nuts and am tempted
to count them to see the cost per. 



I add the juice of half of Marsha's lemon, seeded,
then cut it it in quarters to boil with the spinach.
Yes, I discard the lemons before eating. 
If you're not a spinach lover,  have you tried this? 
It's good for you!



My lunch is ready.  
I'm no Julia Childs,  but I'd love to be 6'2".
Bon Appetit!



6 comments:

Paula Murray said...

Sounds yummy and looks delicious!

Marilyn said...

So fun, Jacki. Great food shots, and commentary that makes me smile!

jacki long said...


Oh Thank You so much, Paula!
I am so flattered that you checked out the blog.
Comments are "few and far between" and so very appreciated.
I hope you will stop by again, and please give me advice ... from a real writer. ;o)

jacki long said...

Thank you Marilyn! I like to see you smile.
Have a great weekend and stop by again?

Tyler said...

Protein, vitamin C, healthy fats, iron, calcium. . . this salad looks nutritious and delicious and I think it's a much better way to go than brown sludge :)

jacki long said...


Thanks Tyler! It was delicious and nutritious, and easy too. I like my sludge in the morning, mainly because I know it makes me feel good. I'm a new kale fan. I even made kale chops Saturday, yum!