Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 194: Boarding school at 8?



Today I read Dorothy Crone's blog ... and connected.
I am often struck by the similarities.
But today, it was a real connection.

from the Timeline series

An only child, my parents divorced when I was five.
I knew they both loved me. 




We all just did the best we could.



from the Timeline series

I went to public schools in second and part of third grade.
front row, left ... from the Timeline series

Mom worked at night, so at age 8, I went to boarding school.
First, to San Marino School for Girls.



front row, 4th from left ... from the Timeline series

The lady my Mom worked for, was able to get me accepted 
into Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy


a vintage postcard from that time

An all girls Pasadena boarding school on top of a mountain.











It had been a luxury hotel until the depression, when 
the church bought it and converted it into a school.



our room was bottom center, yellow dot

My roommate, DeDe and I had our own room, 
bathroom and once a week cleaning service.
The Dominican nuns were strict but fair.
My hero was Sister Benigna.



We wore uniforms, grey blazer, while blouse and 
plaid pleated skirt, but dressed for dinner each evening.
We ate in a huge dining hall.



DeDe and many of the girls stayed all the time. 
I got to go home on weekends. DeDe came too.
I have many good memories from my years there.
But, it was boarding school, age 8 - 11.

1952 ... from the Timeline series

At age 11 my Mom and I moved to Australia.

But that's another story.






7 comments:

Karen&Jack said...

You had an interesting early life,I went all through elementary school at Eugene Field in Glendale,surprise!

Karen&Jack said...

You had an interesting early life,I went all through elementary school at Eugene Field in Glendale,surprise!

Marilyn said...

Jacki, I want to hear about Australia. I never heard you talk about it. xoxo

jacki long said...

Wow! We were neighbors, but I think I was there long before you. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog.
I don't get many comments, so much so that I can't describe how excited I get when I get a comment!
Thanks again, Karen!

jacki long said...

I lost one of you comments! DRAT! Could you re-send?
Australia was age 11-14, came back and started John Marshall High School, my first public and co-ed school since that third grade picture. Thanks for visiting the blog, and also for commenting! j.

Julie Eaves said...

Hi Jacki, I'm enjoying reading your blog. Would love to read more about your time at boarding school. Keep on writing.

jacki long said...

Thanks Julie! I love to get comments, and especially from "family". I keep writing, 196 and counting. If you go back to earlier posts there are a lot about family. One for my Dad on his birthday: http://jackilong.blogspot.com/2012/08/day-37-birthday-dad-my-dad-would-be-103.html
I do this blog randomly, so you, and I, never know what the topic will be. Hoping to keep it interesting and not pigeon-holed? Thanks again!♥