Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 224: I ♥ Sumo!




If you saw yesterday's blog ...
my fortune cookie said ...


well today I got a little package.
Karen, one of my very best friends in high school ...
sent me unexpected and a wonderful surprise.


With a written note ... "A smile for your day!"
And I didn't know she knew ...

and I am a true ...


For years I watched Sumo basho's on channel 38
and subscribed to Sumo World magazine.


My hero was, still is, Wakanohana.





Ryogoku, Tokyo

Somagahana Fuchiemon,
1850,an early Sumo wrestler.

I love everything about Sumo.
The tradition still honored.
The cleansing of the ring.
The skill and dedication.
The idea of a 15 consecutive day
basho (tournament) and the 
champion being the winner
of 15 days of competition.
And, the fact that you can't tell
by the sumo player's demeanor ,
which is the winner or defeated.
No boasting. Manners.
I love Sumo.


ring entering ceremony

Thank you, dear Karen!
Until I opened the mail, I didn't know ...
what today's blog would be.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when is the next sumo event?

jacki long said...

I don't know Henry, but let's go! ;o)

Steve vanWormer said...

Before I met you, I thought Sumo was just large scantily dressed men slapping each other around. As it happens, there is much more to Sumo than meets the eye and
such great manners. I've become a fan also...

jacki long said...

Thanks so much, Steve! It's so nice to get a comment from you! And yeah, another Sumo Fan!