Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 248: My Uncle Owen



As I have said, I have been blessed in many ways.
One of those blessings is Uncle Owen.


Born Francis Owen Richardson in 1907.


Only child of Howard and Kate.


Born and raised on the Richardson home and farm ...












Sheridan, Indiana.





Owen met Pauline Beatty at a church social.
They dated for three years and eloped in 1928. 
This was a true love story covering 69 years.

Donna and Nancy, Martha, yet to be born

They had three daughters, Donna, Nancy and Martha.
Aunt Pauline and Uncle Owen were so proud of their girls.
Donna and Martha became teachers and Nancy a RN.



Uncle Owen and Aunt Pauline were both award 
winning teachers who affected many lives 
while teaching 32 years.
They established a scholarship to aid future teachers.



Uncle Owen was so kind to my daughter, 
and let her call him "Poppy", 
like his own grandchildren which he adored.
Uncle Owen would be 106 today, and we miss him still.


Happy Birthday Uncle Owen!



5 comments:

Julie Eaves said...

Love the old photographs and stories of favorite people in your life.

jacki long said...

Thanks Julie!
I really appreciate your taking time to comment, as I love to get feedback. This was fun to do, and I always learn more than I knew to start. ;o) I still plan to do one on great love stories, and Bea and Bert will be one of the stars.

Julie Eaves said...

That would be great. I'll be looking for it.

Paula Murray said...

Thank you, Jacki, for taking the time to make this tribute to Poppy. I have not seen some of these pictures before. It almost made me cry. He's been gone all these years and I miss him still. I only wish he could have known my boys -- they would have had a lot of fun together.

jacki long said...

Thanks so much for commenting, Paula. It means a lot coming from you. I wish I had your writing skills. Bob, Donna and Martha sent me photos, as I only had older ones. Martha also sent me your beautiful essay that did make me cry. Yes, Uncle Owen was an amazing man, so much so that his presence is with us still. He would have loved your boys.