Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Day 1553:There's a wedding on the horizon ...







"guys are hard", marker,& junk mail collage on a journal page
















There's a wedding on the horizon ... not me, but I'll be there.
In fact, at their request, I am officiating the ceremony.
I have done this only once before  ...
& Norma suggested I share that story.


 


In 2005, Brandon & Courtney asked me to marry them.
I thought they were crazier than I had thought.
I refused. A minister, rabbi or priest marries you, right?
It turns out in our modern age, anyone ...
and I am proof, anyone can get certified to marry people.
That took away one excuse. My next excuse was ...
I didn't want to upset their traditional family that I love.
They sent Grandma & Grandpa Nomura to see me.


Mr and Mrs. Tom Nomura


"Please marry the kids, we'd like that".
They don't play fair! I would do anything they asked.
And so, on a beautiful SoCal September day ...


Courtney & her Dad approach the wedding spot


at Inspiration Point above Corona Del Mar & the Pacific
Courtney & Brandon were married ... 

   

 witnessed by about a total of 
30 family & very close friends.
The men of the family held a 
tall bamboo staff symbolizing
their role as family support.

The women held a 
Japanese parasol symbolizing
their traditional role to protect.
It was both stunningly
symbolic and beautiful.
I so admired that they did 
their wedding their way.


 

the vows



 
Julie, Meagan, Courtney, Brandon, Jean & Craig

 
















I was humbled & honored but
 I didn't plan to ever take 
on that role again.




Now, sister Megan asked if I would marry she & Mike.
I have known this young lady for her whole life.
They too are planning a small wedding, their way.
I asked permission to mention it here, and they said yes.
I will share more later.
So wish me luck, I'll try not to mess it up.








A smile for Wednesday ...


(this is especially for Courtney & Brandon)



No comments: