Saturday, July 8, 2017

Day 1808: My tiny Grandma.






Great Grandpa Mills, Cayuga, IN 1900













Want music?

 




Click here for Neil Sedaka, Love will keep us together.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?










Finally getting around to telling you about my Grandma.
Just 4'9", size 4 shoe, my Dad's Mom, Leila ...
had the biggest heart ever.
She said that back in the day, shoe stores used a size 4 
in their display windows to make shoes more appealing,
but she could buy them at a discount & be fashionable.




She was married at 16, then again at 19 & again at 35.
I could never imagine being married so young.
She told me of making a pear pie as a young bride.
She'd never made one & made it so big it exploded!
 Grandma's are wonderful, they have great stories.


Grandma with friend, San Francisco, 1948


When I was 5, I flew an hour on a plane alone to be 
with Grandma & Jimmy in San Francisco for the summer.


age 5


 Grandma came to live with my Dad, her oldest of two sons,
later when her husband Jimmy passed on.
. . .

When I was 16, I saved up to take Grandma 
to the Egyptian theater in Hollywood (big stuff back then).




We went to see the movie, Ben Hur 
and bought the Ben Hur book program & popcorn.
We ate afterwards at Woolworth's (a big spender).
I remember her being so pleased. I was too.






Like all Grandmas, mine was special & oh so tiny!












A smile for Saturday ...
















No comments: