Monday, August 14, 2017

Day 1845: Battling a bad habit.





him, graphite, gesso & acrylic on canvas















Want music?

 




Click here for Bruno Mars, 24K Magic
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?










One of my bad habits ...
I rarely finish an unfinished class project.
I think I will get back to it, but I usually don't. 
Yesterday's class, I demonstrated on a 40 x 40" canvas.
First with graphite, then acrylic & gesso.





start, upper right corner of canvas


My wet graphite application was too heavy so I ...


mono-print of upper right corner of canvas
blotted with newsprint, making a mono-print.
This always surprises & pleases me.

 
photo by Irene Raphael

Next was covering the canvas. 
Because I didn't seal the graphite, it blended 
into the original scarlet red acrylic and turned it rusty. 
Another accident that I kept.

start, upper left corner of canvas

I discussed layout & composition possibilities for the class .
I zoomed in on this for a close up, because I liked it.


start, total canvas

Some artists in class had a plan, most didn't.
I was one of the latter, but felt I got kinda lucky with this layout.
I always stress just going for it, so I have to do that too.
I stopped, helped others & photographed until ...


collage, upper right corner of canvas

some asked about collage & gel medium application,
so I demonstrated adding some tissue, about 8 strips.
Then I was asked if I was going to leave the guy?


lower left corner of canvas



I said, I thought so. It was about then I started
using peoples left over acrylic paint. I hate to waste it.


close up, upper right corner of canvas
addition, upper right corner of canvas



















I added leftover ocher and flesh tone acrylics to his & her face.


close up, top of guys head




So this is what I came home with. 
I do like it, which isn't always the case.




full canvas, as is, Sunday 4:07 PM

I think it is 3/4 done? Not sure, as ...
I really like the unfinished look & don't want to lose that.
He seems to be saying "hey, don't leave me like this!"
I am sure one of you wonders about that red blob on her face?
Well, it was an accident & I kept it?  ;o)
So. we'll see what happens from now (4:15PM)?
Now 9:30 PM and after a break I added a little ...


lower left corner of canvas




very little actually. It's subtle.
I'm not sure if I am just tired or lazy, 
but here's the final version, as of now.




final, full canvas, as is, Sunday



I would really like your views, if you have time?













A smile for Monday ...















No comments: