Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Day 1888: Logististics of the step by step?






Reiko, acrylic, collage & junk mail on flip-book










Want music?

 




Click here for Al Jarreau, Mornin'
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?









Another quick step by step in the tiny flip-book.
I was asked about the logistics involved?
I think this tiny flip-book is so easy.  
I just leave it out & when I have even just a few minutes ...



yummy stuff!
 
and some nearby paper scraps ...



messy stuff!


or leftover ink, paint ...



tiny stuff!


I even have a little basket of small scraps ... 
stuff you might toss?  But they come in so handy.



  

This is an already 
gel printed paper, 
collage-d over a
rather hopeless 
face, done in marker
but does show the 
collage process, 
fill a little or 
 a lot. 
I will likely collage 
over it too. Or not.









Then I go in and add a face shape on the paint smudge.
I often so several of these and come back later to finish.







When I start adding to the face, it is the "makeover" stage 
and I am always amazed at ...




What a difference even 2 scraps of paper can make?




It's kinda like a "reveal", right? 
Sometimes I add even tinier snippets for eyes & mouth etc, 
sometimes I prefer the simpler original lines if I got lucky.






Sometimes, like this one with Reiko, 
I add scraps to suggest a body.
I guess you know, I love junk mail! 


In using junk mail or any kind of text, it is 
my preference to always use test sideways or upside down ...
so it is part or the design, rather that to read.





 
A funny story I tell my classes. 
Years ago I was called by the OC Fair Art Exhibit. 





A very kind lady informed me that I had won first prize. 
It was a huge frame of 40 of my junk mail collages combined. 
I remember, it was so heavy! I was very pleased.
She hesitated, then sweetly said that they were wondering 
if maybe the person I had hired to frame it, 
might possibly have framed it upside down? 
I smiled to myself & assured her that 
I had framed it myself and it was right side up.
But, a reasonable question I thought.












A smile for Tuesday ...








No comments: